- This event has passed.
Supervisory Development 1: Fundamentals presented by the OPM Center for Leadership Development
September 15, 2014 @ 9:00 am - September 19, 2014 @ 4:00 pm$2,500
Supervisory Development 1: Fundamentals
Establishing the Fundamental Skills to Become a Successful Leader
Septempber 15-19, 2014
Ralph H. Metcalfe Federal Building, Chicago, IL, $2500
Every Federal Agency relies on frontline management to get the job done. Though professional vary greatly across the Federal government, the responsibilities of the frontline supervisor do not. Every Federal supervisor needs to know how to implement an effective human resource and performance management process to achieve high performance. This course delivers the fundamental skills supervisors need to be successful.
This course can be combined with the Supervisory Development Seminar 2 for a two-week immersion experience to expand these fundamentals into a foundation for great leadership.
How You Will Benefit
- Be able to navigate the Federal human resource management system and differentiate appropriate personnel actions to recruit, hire and retain employees in the Federal workplace
- Implement effective performance management practices that set expectations and encourage effective performance
- Gain the skills, behavior and attitudes that define the successful supervisor
- Learn and practice tools for effectively communicating expectations to employees
- Write performance standards that are measurable and motivate employees to succeed
Who Should Attend
New supervisors and experienced supervisors who have not completed formal supervisory training, and those transitioning to Federal civil service from the military or private sector.
All new Federal supervisors are required to receive training within one year of being appointed into the position.
This course meets one of the requirements for the Supervisor level of the Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) Certificate program. For more information go to the LEAD certificate page.
Please Note: Lodging and meals are not included in the tuition.